Considering painting over mold? Read this first.

Painting over mold may seem like a quick and easy solution to a festering problem. Mold can be both unappealing to look at and dangerous to your health. Many landlords and tenants use paint as a band-aid to treat the symptoms without curing the problem itself through mold remediation. Mold does not go away when it is painted over, rather it is covered and allowed to continue growing. Painting over mold can ruin the paint in that area, as mold eventually breaks through over time and creates an unattractive appearance. But, there are ways to tackle mold effectively before painting.

Removing Mold

Mold needs to be removed before it is painted over. Without proper treatment, the problem will only remain. Often, the mold that is visible is only the tip of the iceberg. The surface mold may be the only visible part of a deeper problem that extends into your walls. If you are renting a property, it’s best to ask your landlord about removing the mold before attempting to paint any surfaces. If the property is your own, it’s recommended to bring in professional mold remediation specialists as a way of eliminating the mold. In many cases, removing mold alone can be dangerous and do more damage than good. Mold spores could be released through amateur removal, which could harm your health and cause mold to continue spreading unintentionally. Mold removing paint available on the market may seem like a tempting solution, however, it likely will not work.


In conclusion, it’s important to remove the mold before painting any surfaces. This is because mold often goes deeper than what appears on the surface, as a result of water or dampness. This dampness can cause mold to stick around even when painted over. While paint is a tempting option, it’s an extremely short term solution to a longer-term problem. Proper removal by the trained professionals at Entrusted is advised to minimize the chance of mold spreading and to preserve your own health. In the case of a rental property, be sure to consult your landlord to make them aware of the problem.