At the first indication of mold, it is imperative that you get it removed as it can not only cause severe damage to your home, but your health as well. Mold can grow and spread quickly if left alone and not treated immediately. If you believe that you are getting sick as a result of the mold in your home, contact a mold clean up company to test for mold as soon as possible. The most common places for mold to build up are the bathroom, kitchen, basement, cabinets and walls. In some extreme cases, mold can also build up under the foundation of your home.
Mold removal can be expensive, but it can be even more expensive if you wait to remove the mold. There are a few methods you can try yourself to destroy the mold and hopefully prevent it from returning.
- Investigate your home completely, checking for any leaks or moisture buildup. If you do find any, be sure to clean up immediately with a dry towel. You’ll want to discover the source of the leak and get it repaired to prevent any more water or moisture from accumulating. Eliminating and controlling all moisture and leaks will greatly reduce the chances that mold or mildew will develop.
- Mold and mildew thrive in warm and wet areas. If you live in a location with a humidity level consistently over 70%, be consistent in preventing toxic mildewed or molded air. Invest in a dehumidifier and routinely test your home for mold and mildew overgrowth. Try to keep your home as dry as possible to prevent mold and mildew.
- When you take a shower, turn on the bathroom fan or open a window. This simple habit will significantly reduce the amount of mold and mildew in your bathroom.
- Regularly change out the air filters on your HVAC systems. This will help to ensure that air in your home remains dust, mold and mildew free.
- Mold thrives in closets, so be sure to check your closet regularly. This is especially important if you have ever hung up damp clothing in your closet. If you discover mold or mildew growing in your closet, be sure to wash all of your clothes immediately.
- Mold and mildew cannot be cleaned from some porous surfaces, so call your mold experts immediately.
Remember, prevention is key to mold and mildew growth. Keeping your home dry will not only save you money in repairs but also keep you healthy. If you find that you have mold or mildew growing in your home, a mold clean up company, such as Entrusted, can professionally remove and restore your home to pre-mold condition. Don’t wait for mold or mildew to become worse or affect your health, contact Entrusted today!