5 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Do Mold Abatement Yourself

Nobody wants to find mold lurking in their home. Unfortunately, some homeowners do discover the silent intruder growing in their walls and behind their cupboards. If you discover that you have mold in your home, you might be wondering how to go about eradicating it. The simple answer is, you don’t do it yourself. Hire professionals who are trained in mold abatement, to come in and clean up the mold for you. While we aren’t against most DIY projects, there are a few reasons why you shouldn’t attempt to remove mold yourself. Here’s why:

You Could Feed the Mold

By trying to clean up mold on your own, you could unintentionally make the situation worse. Nearly every household cleaner on the market contains water as one of the main ingredients. Since water is one of mold’s main food sources, using these products only feeds the mold and exacerbates the problem.

You Could Spread the Spores and Release Fumes

When you use the wrong chemicals or solutions to try and treat the mold and clean it up, the results could be disastrous. Some chemicals or solutions can cause the mold to react, resulting in more spores spread all over your home.

You Could Cause More Damage to Your Home

Depending on the chemicals that you use, you could potentially cause damage to your paint, drywall and other surfaces of your home that it comes in contact with.

You Could Get Sick

When the mold is disturbed, spores are sent into the air. Once they are airborne they can be breathed in, causing respiratory illness or distress. Wearing proper respiratory protection during mold abatement is essential to protect against harmful mold spores. Additionally, if you use a chemical improperly, you could inadvertently be subjecting everyone in your home to harmful fumes.

You Could Miss Something

Certified mold remediation experts have been trained to look for and detect mold in some of the most unsuspecting spots in your home. While you might have been able to effectively clean up all the visible mold, it is extremely easy to miss mold that is growing out of sight, such as behind baseboards or under appliances.

Before you attempt to clean up mold yourself, contact the experts at Entrusted. We’ll effectively remove any mold in your home, ensuring that you and your family are safe and healthy! If you find mold in your home, contact the team at Entrusted!